Question for the female 'male' voicers.

Skye
    Admin

Notes : 1424

UTAU Information
    UTAUloid or Project: Hitori Kanane
    Blog/Website: N/A
    Status: Act 2 Betaing. Trying to make her Korean compatible.

Question for the female 'male' voicers.

Post by Skye on Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:01 am

How exactly do you record? I've been thinking of doing Issho/Hitoru myself, but I'm conflicted with myself.

I want Issho to sound as 'human' as possible. I want to give him triphones.

But the thing is, I don't want to do that for Hitori.

Which makes me feel weird, since I love Hitori to death. But the more I think about it, the more illogical it gets. For one, most voice effects happen because of Mic or Recording conditions. But with Hitori, I purposefully put effects on each of her voicesamples. That's why she sounds so whispery. I'm worried about recording for Issho. Most of the time, the fact that I put in effects to the voice covers up most of the blunders in my voice such as accidental vibrato. The effect I use on the voice samples make it unnatural to have triphones, as in my head, the way that triphones work.. it would make Hitori's singing awkward or too slurred. To me, it's fine the way it is.

But to the recording, how do you guys record? I'm used to fandubbing, so when I think 'Guy voice' my voice automatically drops to a very Gackpo-like voice. But I have a certain tone I want Issho to have, and I know I can carry it out.. if I can stop dropping my voice to that pitch out of habit. Do any of you guys experience this? Am I getting out of hand trying to make two voicebanks in a row? I'm not too sure how to go about this. Any help? Misha? Crossfrown? D;

Catarsis

Notes : 1916

UTAU Information
    UTAUloid or Project:
    Blog/Website:

Re: Question for the female 'male' voicers.

Post by Catarsis on Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:47 am

The majority of females who voices male UTAUloids are always depending of the "g" flag.
    I don't know too much about making male UTAUloids if you're female but...I know about making several voices at once. Now I've finished Katarina's new VB and I'm starting to record Cecilia's one, which have a notable difference because Katarina's frequences is at A#3 and Cecilia's at A#4.
    If you have the abilities of a voice actor, this will be pretty easy for you. I think you should mark a clear difference between Hitori's voice and Issho's voice, so they doesn't sound too equal.
    In the case of Katarina, I've recorded my voice like when I talk IRL. In the case of Cecilia, I've recorded my voice like I'm singing a high-pitched song.
    This little difference in the mood of recording can mark a difference. Smile

Misha

Notes : 2890

UTAU Information
    UTAUloid or Project: Hachi Makune & Ichiro Makune
    Blog/Website: http://makunefamily.blogspot.com/

Post by Misha on Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:13 am

Um, I, uh.
    I don't know a single thing about pitching it right
    errr I just deepened my voice and recorded on audacity o xo;;;
    sorry I'm not being a big help. I just kinda.... Did it.

Crossfrown

Notes : 994

UTAU Information
    UTAUloid or Project: Crossfrown
    Blog/Website: http://crossfrown.blog126.fc2.com/

Post by Crossfrown on Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:58 pm

You know that voice you make when you're imitating a bigger man acting like an idiot, complete with walking around like gorilla to illustrate how much of a big manly idiot this man is?

Yeah I do that.

annamaeblythe

Notes : 434

UTAU Information
    UTAUloid or Project: BLYTHE Anaka
    Blog/Website:

Post by annamaeblythe on Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:27 pm

You are allotted one singing spleen.
    Division and bastardization of that spleen will result in division and bastardization of quality.
    That is not good.

If you're a girl, and you want to voice an UTAU with a mature voice, voice a female UTAU with a mature voice.

... I hate shotas. I hate them ever so much.

Here's the thing: I am NEVER a fan of editing samples. I believe that samples should be a representation of the voice behind them, not of an archetype achieved through editing and pitching.
    Pitching your voice down to attain a 'male' sound will make it sound completely awkward.
    If you want human sounding triphones, use your normal speaking voice.
    It's the ONLY option.

Well, unless you edit the **** out of everything.
    But that's bastardization.

Skye
    Admin

Notes : 1424

UTAU Information
    UTAUloid or Project: Hitori Kanane
    Blog/Website: N/A
    Status: Act 2 Betaing. Trying to make her Korean compatible.

Post by Skye on Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:33 pm

annamaeblythe wrote:You are allotted one singing spleen.
    Division and bastardization of that spleen will result in division and bastardization of quality.
    That is not good.

If you're a girl, and you want to voice an UTAU with a mature voice, voice a female UTAU with a mature voice.

Here's the thing: I am NEVER a fan of editing samples. I believe that samples should be a representation of the voice behind them, not of an archetype achieved through editing and pitching.
    Pitching your voice down to attain a 'male' sound will make it sound completely awkward.
    It's the ONLY option.

That's what I was going to do. I'm not quite a fan of pitch changes either. Tried it, didn't like it, never going to try it again. The only thing I did to Hitori was add a bit of echo, since her samples before that were looking suspiciously like Ritsu's.

Crossfrown

UTAU Information

Post by Crossfrown on Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:22 pm

That is not good.

It's the ONLY option.

No it isn't. I'm rerecording my male UTAU with pitching, and he sounds MORE human than his unedited version. 8I

I do not appreciate you telling other people what not to do. It's their UTAU and their decision, not yours.

Hey, maybe I want to make a specific voice that I'm not vocally capable of! OBVIOUSLY I'M NOT ALLOWED TO BECAUSE IT'S ~BASTERDIZATION~ of...uh...what?

Ugh.

Haloheroine

Notes : 3535

UTAU Information
    UTAUloid or Project: Rainbow UTAUloid Project
    Blog/Website: http://utaucream.wordpress.com/
    Status: Misakura Hayao VCVs- 98%, Hananome Jarred (Possibly VCVs)- 2%, Kurone Ayla - ??

Post by Haloheroine on Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:56 pm

...Hayao is pitched down in the UTAU program, because I have the view it sounds more realistic than if you Audacity pitch change it.
    .____. It definitely does on my voice, not sure about others.

I would recommend singing it in the voice you want (Slight vibrato only adds realism *shot* But really, it doesn't matter much...), then simply importing into the program and seeing what it sounds like on C4.
    If it sounds too shota, down it an octave and try putting a g+flag (only, like, g+3 or 4 if you're a good voice actor), see if that gives the effect you want.
    If it sounds boyish at C4 (this can happen, it happened to me once), try simply moving it down an octave.

Bah, this is just relaying how I get Hayao. XD
    8D But really, if you can voice Gackt low, go for it! Ignore the Vibrato, but test the samples in the program to see if it effects the notes in any way D:

Crossfrown

UTAU Information

Post by Crossfrown on Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:31 pm

OKAY OKAY IT'S WORKING PERFECTLY.

Use a husky, mature voice. Pitch down to a certain degree (never go 19 or higher, or else it'll be too deep and icky).

TADAAAA.

I disapprove of in-program male UTAUs (lolwhat *reverse*) because it's pretty much the normal bank genderbended.

Haloheroine

Notes : 3535

UTAU Information
    UTAUloid or Project: Rainbow UTAUloid Project
    Blog/Website: http://utaucream.wordpress.com/
    Status: Misakura Hayao VCVs- 98%, Hananome Jarred (Possibly VCVs)- 2%, Kurone Ayla - ??

Post by Haloheroine on Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:02 am

Crossfrown wrote:OKAY OKAY IT'S WORKING PERFECTLY.

Use a husky, mature voice. Pitch down to a certain degree (never go 19 or higher, or else it'll be too deep and icky).

TADAAAA.

I disapprove of in-program male UTAUs (lolwhat *reverse*) because it's pretty much the normal bank genderbended.

Aww, I feel like crap again now ;-; I must be sensitive today.

Ah... I did try my hardest to get a deep voice originally for Hayao... But now, when I try to deepen his voice myself, it just sounds... Not like Hayao... (Also, now I use OREMO, and can you even pitch down in that?) So I will continue making him to be Genderbended...
    B-but he does kinda sound shota in C4 now ;-; I just like him to sound manry, so I Genderbend him. If I were to make a female UTAU, she would sound completely different I SWEAR.

.......Now I feel like people don't like me or something... gah I need chocolate and something soothing, I must be, like, hyper or something. XDD Moodswiiiings~

Crossfrown

UTAU Information

Post by Crossfrown on Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:21 am

Pffft

I don't mind that you're doing it, I'm just not fond of the idea. 8D;; Sorry to make you antsy.

If a voicebank that did this was never released, it would fly right over my head, TBH.

Misha

Notes : 2890

UTAU Information
    UTAUloid or Project: Hachi Makune & Ichiro Makune
    Blog/Website: http://makunefamily.blogspot.com/

Post by Misha on Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:38 am

Um, I had to pitch down for Ichiro AND set a gflag AND go down an octave.
    Of course, this was before I knew Audacity could pitch change things. I doubt I would have gone that route anyway.
    Whatever, I think he sounds great and isnt a shouta.
    'Cause I agree with Mae on the shouta. I'm not a big fan of it.
    Whats worse in my eyes however, are the 18 - 20somethings that have a shouta voice. MALES DO NOT WORK THAT WAY >____>

Crossfrown

UTAU Information

Post by Crossfrown on Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:45 am

Personally, I'd like it if people directed me to shota voicebanks, because those are the only ones I use and I absolutely refuse to use that Seun kid because of his stupidly long and irrelevant name, which means all I have is Peanut (best ever) and my own UTAU. >:

One that does not have a super duper story or is just a girl claiming her voicebank is a boy because lolshota.

;____;

산쇼씨 (Sansyo-ssi)

Notes : 838

UTAU Information
    UTAUloid or Project: 歌音山将
    Blog/Website: http://kimsansyo.blog128.fc2.com/blog-entry-3.html

Post by 산쇼씨 (Sansyo-ssi) on Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:00 am

Hnnn, when I make opposite gender recordings, I put it in with the main voicebank. 8u8 It just seems more organized that way.
    But, the "opposite gender" recordings are me just singing at F4, without falsetto or editing. If I want it to sound female in UTAU, I just use the F4 set and genderbend it with flags to make it sound a little more convincing as a girl's voice.

Editing files that were recorded really high (in the 4 scale) to sound male is just riddiculous, it won't sound nattural at all. eAe;; But, if you manage to record lower in the 3 scale and THEN edit it, it should sound more passible. (Also, I don't mean editing the pitch necessarily, just editing the gender of the voice in UTAU or Melodyne, or something.)

AND BY THE WAY.
    REAL SHOTACHARA AREN'T VOICED BY TEENAGED GIRLS/usually. I reccomend either an actual boy, or an older woman as a voice, since they have the closest vocal range. C': (I think girls trying to make their voice sound shota is actually kinda creepy sometimes, ahaa;; eue)

Catarsis

UTAU Information
    UTAUloid or Project:
    Blog/Website:

Post by Catarsis on Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:36 pm

Well, I think if you are a contralto (lowest female voice), you easily can make a male UTAUloid without sounding like a shota. I'm a mezzosoprano and I can do that, but things are a bit more difficult for me.

Uchi-chan

Notes : 670

UTAU Information
    UTAUloid or Project: Nagare Zensoukyoku and KANDI
    Blog/Website:

Post by Uchi-chan on Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:33 pm

When I recorded Nagare, I had a sore throat from the swine flu and I did voice deepening exercises...but one tip: do NOT sing as low as you can. It just sounds like a girl who is constipated...

annamaeblythe

UTAU Information
    Blog/Website:

Post by annamaeblythe on Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:19 am

Crossfrown wrote:
    That is not good.

It's the ONLY option.

No it isn't. I'm rerecording my male UTAU with pitching, and he sounds MORE human than his unedited version. 8I

I do not appreciate you telling other people what not to do. It's their UTAU and their decision, not yours.

Hey, maybe I want to make a specific voice that I'm not vocally capable of! OBVIOUSLY I'M NOT ALLOWED TO BECAUSE IT'S ~BASTERDIZATION~ of...uh...what?

Ugh.

Excuse me?
    I'm Anna Mae Blythe.

Also- If you can't make a voice, how the hell are you going to make an UTAU of it? If you just edit samples to be something that you can't create on your own...
    ... What's the point?

Luna

Notes : 3465

UTAU Information
    UTAUloid or Project: Ichine Luna
    Blog/Website:

Post by Luna on Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:05 pm

Crossfrown has a point.
    You should be able to make your own utau with a certain voice you give to it.
    If you can't make a certain voice for an utau, but said voice fits the character, it's your own utau and you should be able to do what you please with them... without your telling them that they can't. Because honestly, Mae, not everyone is going to bend to fit your preferences. The world doesn't revolve around you, hon'.

I naturally have a super duper low voice, and had to like contort my voice severly to get Luna as high pitched as she is. It was painful to record, but I did for the sake of a cute voice. 8'D

Before recording, try like practicing a natural, deep voice somewhere. I practice in the shower because the water drowns out the noise. I can seriously sound like a guy if I try, but some people can naturally do that, and some need loads of practice.

If you in no way can record a guy utau without pitching, then use it.

But if you can naturally get yourself to sound male, go for it.

MariRoseTair

Notes : 409

UTAU Information
    UTAUloid or Project: Siana Shion
    Blog/Website:

Post by MariRoseTair on Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:22 pm

IchineLuna wrote:
    I naturally have a super duper low voice, and had to like contort my voice severly to get Luna as high pitched as she is. It was painful to record, but I did for the sake of a cute voice. 8'D

*goes off topic for a moment*
    NononononoNO, Bad Luna, Bad!

NEVER contort your voice to the point of pain.
    PROFESSIONAL singers aren't even aloud to do that, because it will damage your Vocal cords.
    A cute voice is not worth damaging your only set of cords.

and never sing/strain your voice when sick, that will just make things worse.
    You can't make any utauoilds if your vocal cords end up messed up due to cuasing to much strain.
    *Stops going off topic*

Anyway.
    Everything about making a convinng male voice has already been said but I'll add this.

Everyone is entitled their opinion, c: Some people don't like the idea of people trying to make an utauoild that is the opsoite gender of the voicer, while others don't mind.

In the end of the day as long as their of good quality everything is fine. which all all that really matters.. well that and making sure the voicer don't kil ltheir vocal cords while making the utauoild..

Luna

Notes : 3465

UTAU Information
    UTAUloid or Project: Ichine Luna
    Blog/Website:

Post by Luna on Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:27 pm

Aha. I was kidding. Overstatement. xD
    It wasn't physically painful... just really annoying xD
    Sorry for confusion. Dx

Wolkabai

Notes : 1284

UTAU Information
    UTAUloid or Project: Seiya Kiyoshi
    Blog/Website: http:www.seiyakiyoshi.webs.com

Post by Wolkabai on Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:37 pm

Uh I don't know why this is turning into a heated argument.. but I don't think anyone has the right to tell someone what gender or voice their utau should have.. as well as any other qualities. That's all..

As for what this topic is really about.. I just.. try to sing the sounds lowly.. but not.. speak low? Because for me that makes the note buzz ..which sounds less human.. sorry if that doesn't help ><

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:43 pm

RAI has the voice of a younger boy, but recording the voice this is how he came out. I did not do anything to my voice at all as it my first try with recording one, and the voice that came out doesn't really sound girly, nor manly. I actually do think it sound like a young boy...so thats what he is XD.

But I think if you'd like a manly voice I quite like Hayao and Seiya so using either of those as a guide would work.

I'd ask you to ask their creators as I have no experience making my voice sound lower xD.

Catarsis

UTAU Information
    UTAUloid or Project:
    Blog/Website:

Post by Catarsis on Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:45 pm

Wolkabai wrote:Uh I don't know why this is turning into a heated argument.. but I don't think anyone has the right to tell someone what gender or voice their utau should have.. as well as any other qualities. That's all..

As for what this topic is really about.. I just.. try to sing the sounds lowly.. but not.. speak low? Because for me that makes the note buzz ..which sounds less human.. sorry if that doesn't help ><

yeah that's right, but I think it's more natural when you record a male voice without depending of flags P:

Wolkabai

Notes : 1284

UTAU Information
    UTAUloid or Project: Seiya Kiyoshi
    Blog/Website: http:www.seiyakiyoshi.webs.com

Post by Wolkabai on Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:46 pm

vodKata wrote:
    Wolkabai wrote:Uh I don't know why this is turning into a heated argument.. but I don't think anyone has the right to tell someone what gender or voice their utau should have.. as well as any other qualities. That's all..

yeah that's right, but I think it's more natural when you record a male voice without depending of flags P:

Well yes I know.. that's the most natural .. xD

annamaeblythe

UTAU Information
    Blog/Website:

Post by annamaeblythe on Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:16 pm

Guys-
    I'm Anna Mae Blythe, and I know I'm right about these things.
    I'm not telling people what to do, I'm stating facts.
    When you contort your voice into something else (especially via pitching), someone else can easily contort their voice to do that. Then there would be several UTAUs with voices that are painfully alike.
    Being painfully alike is redundant and annoying.

Therefore, it's dumb to not just use your natural voice, but making some modifications to make it easier on yourself and the program.

And I agree with Mari. My old chorus teacher would yell at boys who lowered their voice to mimic an opera singer because it WOULD damage their vocal chords.
    Oh...
    Erm, I will admit that there is no other UTAU that sounds like Sporker McSporkerson and Kichi Yasashii... BUT THEY SOUND LIKE CRAP. (Both are joke VBs of mine. Sporker was never finished nor released.)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content Today at 10:39 am

Current date/time is Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:39 am