Overseas Utaforum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+4
LupinAKAFlashTH2
Stripe
irei1as
Ixeclon
8 posters

Google making you give up your phone# to get Gmail

Ixeclon
    Ixeclon

Notes : 87

Google making you give up your phone# to get Gmail Empty Google making you give up your phone# to get Gmail

Post by Ixeclon Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:36 am

Now today, I was trying to help my friend register a Gmail account so she could have a YouTube account and post UTAU videos and stuff. When we hit the Finish button, it popped us onto one of Google's sites and said that we weren't allowed to access our account until we registered our cell phone number and have google either call or text us.

Excuse my french but but what the flipper. :l

Since I don't have a cell phone, and she doesn't have a cell phone either, and neither of us want Google calling our houses, she now has to register with Hotmail and now has to put her videos on Blip.tv.

Dang you Google, DAANG YOOOOOUUUUU!

Evil or Very Mad

Why must they do this to us!?!?! Sad

Google making you give up your phone# to get Gmail Empty Re: Google making you give up your phone# to get Gmail

Post by Guest Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:51 am

This is not possible.
    I registered a Gmail account VERY recently and they did not ask for phone number.
    Are you sure you didn't hit the wrong button or something?
    Ixeclon
    Ixeclon

Google making you give up your phone# to get Gmail Empty Re: Google making you give up your phone# to get Gmail

Post by Ixeclon Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:48 am

Aster Selene wrote:This is not possible.
    I registered a Gmail account VERY recently and they did not ask for phone number.
    Are you sure you didn't hit the wrong button or something?

I'm pretty sure I hit the right button, I this came into affect recently, because the last time I registered an account with Google, it was on the 16th of May.

We even tried registering with Gmail first, and it pulled the same screen, it wants to protect from spammers, and they said that they would never give up your phone number, which all I can say that is a bunch of poop Google.

I don't know anymore, try to make a random Gmail account and see if it does it to you.
    irei1as
    irei1as

Notes : 1007

UTAU Information
    UTAUloid or Project: Valen Sodebades
    Blog/Website: www.youtube.com/user/irei1as

Post by irei1as Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:30 pm

I just tried to make a google mail account and yes, it asks for a phone number.

But you can still make a youtube account without gmail. You can just select "use another e-mail" option and use that hotmail.

But I used a fake e-mail so I didn't check the notification. Not sure if after that it still asks you for a phone number.
    Stripe
    Stripe

Notes : 395

UTAU Information
    UTAUloid or Project: HYCloids
    Blog/Website: https://www.youtube.com/user/lilyisgoodontoast

Post by Stripe Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:37 pm

I've had Gmail for godknows how long and the other day it told me it had found 'suspicious activity' in my account and asked for a phone number. Never done this before =3=
    LupinAKAFlashTH2
    LupinAKAFlashTH2

Notes : 3737

UTAU Information
    UTAUloid or Project: Project CX-Loid (Crossloid)
    Blog/Website: www.crossloids.webs.com
    Status: ACT 1 of Kenji Baionoto released at website above, constantly being updated

Post by LupinAKAFlashTH2 Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:57 pm

I haven't gotten any messages regarding a phone number. Ever. Not even today, when I logged in.
    Ixeclon
    Ixeclon

Post by Ixeclon Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:26 pm

She made an new Hotmail account, and she was able to register with YouTube!
    YAY! :D Leekspin
    mintie
    mintie

Notes : 768

UTAU Information
    UTAUloid or Project: MSloids
    Blog/Website: http://msloids.blogspot.com/

Post by mintie Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:34 pm

I made a Gmail account and gave them my cellphone lol... they sent me a code (which I used) and I haven't heard from them again... I signed up... on Tuesday, I think.
    .amuletdream
    .amuletdream

Notes : 199

UTAU Information
    UTAUloid or Project: Tori Chang/Tony Chang
    Blog/Website: http://luminate.blog132.fc2.com

Post by .amuletdream Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:46 am

I haven't gotten that message yet.

I hope I don't. I don't like to give out my cellphone number on the internet. Even when giving it to friends, I always do it on the phone or in person.
    smeen
    smeen

Notes : 7719

UTAU Information
    UTAUloid or Project: Yuugi Hakune/Nubia
    Blog/Website: http://utauonline.com/yuugi/

Post by smeen Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:26 am

I saw that message too. When my brother wanted a YouTube-account. I didn't fill in his number. I never fill in phone numbers on the internet.

Post by Guest Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:05 pm

I don't mind. It's not like Google actually does anything with your phone number; my parents signed up for Gmail early in development (when they also required phone numbers) and they haven't used it for anything but the initial text.
    I think it's for stuff like NAVER, they just want to confirm you're a real person.

So if I wanted a new Gmail account, I'd give the number anyway.
    Haloheroine
    Haloheroine

Notes : 3530

UTAU Information
    UTAUloid or Project: Rainbow UTAUloid Project
    Blog/Website: http://utaucream.wordpress.com/
    Status: Misakura Hayao VCVs- 98%, Hananome Jarred (Possibly VCVs)- 2%, Kurone Ayla - ??

Post by Haloheroine Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:40 pm

Just signed up an account then, no number required XDDD Woot.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:07 am