Overseas Utaforum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
Haloheroine
Subarashiki
6 posters

Advice: Becoming more well known?

Subarashiki
    Subarashiki

Notes : 755

UTAU Information
    UTAUloid or Project: Reim
    Blog/Website: Coming soon!
    Status: Reim: Almost done! --- Nai Seibetsu: Just Starting!

Advice: Becoming more well known? Empty Advice: Becoming more well known?

Post by Subarashiki Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:38 pm

I know I read a little guide on VocaloidOtaku a bit ago about it. But, basically it seemed to sum up into "Don't be a Teto\'s magical french bread/genius" [to me. D: Then again, I understand things wrong half the time.]

I know, creation-wise, things to avoid, all that.

But how do you get your UTAUloid more popular without overdoing it?

I'm not looking for a "How To" guide. Or sort of am, but not completely. I'm just looking to see what other people have done to gain a bit of a fanbase for their UTAU.

[I wasn't sure if this was supposed to go in 'General Discussion' or not. But it's a question and asking advice so...I put it here. xD; Please move if not appropriate? Thank you!]
    Haloheroine
    Haloheroine

Notes : 3530

UTAU Information
    UTAUloid or Project: Rainbow UTAUloid Project
    Blog/Website: http://utaucream.wordpress.com/
    Status: Misakura Hayao VCVs- 98%, Hananome Jarred (Possibly VCVs)- 2%, Kurone Ayla - ??

Advice: Becoming more well known? Empty Re: Advice: Becoming more well known?

Post by Haloheroine Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:54 pm

Well, for one, actually get good at editing USTs.
    So, fit your UTAUloid to them, do the otos correctly, add flags ALL THE TIME, remove modulation etc.

And also, have a good UTAUloid in general. Don't make them generic. The voice itself, make sure you fix any pronunciation issues, but your voice is your voice, so sometimes the generic just won't go away. That's fine. ^^ Just try to make your UTAUloid the best with that voicetype, then! That way people wont just go "S/he's a lower quality version of *insert UTAUloid*", and never listen to them again.

Otherwise, don't just cover songs. Make originals, or if you're not particularly musically talented, just make covers of more obscure songs (NOT Magnet, Love is War, Dear You, Spice, GGRKS etc) and make your own UST if you can't find (a good) one for a song you really like.

Use other people's UTAUloid, help them get popular too...
    But don't just go around using UTAUloids JUST to get popular. Use them if you actually like the UTAUloid, If you think they NEED to be popular. No matter who they are. c:

And uh, well... Hayao's not too popular so...
    Try to look professional, and not too... DERPI'MTONEDEAFANDHAVENOSENSEOFCOLORSCHEMINGLOLKASANAYTAYTOE.
    Be organised. Yeah.
    But from what I see of you, you're not like that, so XD

EDIT: Be social. Be nice. Help other people (well, sometimes this doesn't get you anywhere but it's good to do so anyway >:U). Make friends. Be active on the forums and post videos frequently.
    BUT NOT SO FREQUENTLY THAT YOU JUST ANNOY PEOPLE AND PUT NO EFFORT INTO THINGS.
    xD Pretty basic but yeah.

Last edited by Haloheroine on Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Nanashi_Zokune
    Nanashi_Zokune

Notes : 2032

Post by Nanashi_Zokune Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:59 pm

EDIT: lol you beat me halo XD so i guess i'll just add to yours

talk to people~ that's a big one right there. it's good to get to know a lot of people and other voicers/producers, so that they may get interested in you and your utau.
    also maybe posting to other places besides just youtube and nico (or if you can't find places embed some youtube stuffs).

that's all i really have XD so talk to people, make friends, make lots of songs and post them up~ :3
    Haloheroine
    Haloheroine

UTAU Information
    Status: Misakura Hayao VCVs- 98%, Hananome Jarred (Possibly VCVs)- 2%, Kurone Ayla - ??

Post by Haloheroine Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:01 pm

Lol I edited in what you JUST said. You posted the same time as me XD Fail. Sorry!
    Nanashi_Zokune
    Nanashi_Zokune

Post by Nanashi_Zokune Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:03 pm

XDD no worries
    BlazePyron
    BlazePyron

Notes : 811

UTAU Information
    UTAUloid or Project: Kaen Shujoteki
    Blog/Website: https://www.youtube.com/user/BlazePyron

Post by BlazePyron Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:46 pm

Ugh, yes, song choice is a big one. Even as a newbie, I'm almost sick of Meltdown and Love is War (almost, they're still good songs).

If you find ust's that you've never heard a utauloid sing before, and the vid has like 200 views or something, and you like the song, sing it. It'll make someone else very happy when they find it. For example, someone sang The Riddle Solver Who Can't Solve Riddles, and by the time I found it I had given up hope on finding a ust for it. Made my week. Insta sub.

Also, making friends is a great way to get instant gratification. Once you figure out how to make voicebanks on your own, recruit some friends. My friend recuited me into this, and now I'm totally addicted.

But of course, I'm probably not the best person to give out advice on being popular, since I'm not. I'm just a newb. Sad
    Subarashiki
    Subarashiki

UTAU Information

Post by Subarashiki Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:16 pm

Well, personally. I mean, I'm hoping Reim looks..not typical. xD I don't think she does? D'oh. I'll have to finish some proper artwork for you guys sometime. As far as I know, her otos are fine. I didn't do them myself [I failed at them, in fact! xD]. I did have a few songs done pre-good oto, which I need to remove from my youtube. THey were mainly examples for people when I was asking for pointers. =x

I have had at least one person say they want to use Reim in duets and things, and I know you guys here say you like her voice. xD But I guess I was worried, I don't know how to go about getting her a fanbase without being annoying. I only know here and youtube. I've never even posted or used Nico before. It confuses me a bit. :<

I try to find songs that aren't really done though. xD I have some like the Princess Mononoke theme, Telephone (eng. and JP), Still Alive, and some other obscure.

I'm guilty of doing Dear You [poorly] though, because it had been stuck in my head. xD Is Toeto common? It's an adorable song ;w; And what about Trick and Treat? I love AHS too..but I know that's popular, as is my other favorites [Daughter+Servant of Evil].

Waah. I just don't want Reim to be hated.
    Nanashi_Zokune
    Nanashi_Zokune

Post by Nanashi_Zokune Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:30 pm

lol don't worry so much XD just do some songs you like and some obscure unknown songs too. it'll take time to be well known, she sounds really good so i doubt she'll get much hate (there are haters out there but don't pay much attention to them just keep doing your own thing). just be more patient and before you know it you'll be famous XD.

and about the nico thing i believe there is a guide on how to signup there and upload videos.
    http://moemania.org/internet-story/how-to-register-a-user-on-nicovideojp/
    http://moemania.org/internet-story/how-to-upload-videos-to-nicovideojp/
    BlazePyron
    BlazePyron

Notes : 811

UTAU Information
    UTAUloid or Project: Kaen Shujoteki
    Blog/Website: https://www.youtube.com/user/BlazePyron

Post by BlazePyron Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:21 am

Lol, I just saw your art thread. Considering how good of an artist you are, you could get popular off of art requests alone. People LOVE when you draw their character.

irei1as
    irei1as

Notes : 1007

UTAU Information
    UTAUloid or Project: Valen Sodebades
    Blog/Website: www.youtube.com/user/irei1as

Post by irei1as Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:52 am

The best advice I can give around is to have fun.

If you just want popularity and don't like to use UTAU just for the music then you're not going to enjoy this hobby much.
    (But I think you like the music and just want to share your work around that it's quite cool. So this advice doesn't go for you.)

About a real advice... I can't give you any, hmm.
    I'm not very popular myself (and I don't plan to! Really, I would die if I had to "feed" a fanbase as I'm too lazy, haha)... but a small tutorial I made in youtube has almost 2k views (around 7 times more than all my other videos together). I think doing things that help people to do their job is quite popular.

Speed paints and things like that are always refreshing to see... but not sure if it's popular. What do you think?

(And well, I think Hayao is kind of popular. I doubt having over 150 suscribers is being not popular, heh.)
    Haloheroine
    Haloheroine

UTAU Information

Post by Haloheroine Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:06 am

OFFTOPIC BUT
    I actually have 180 now (really need to do a thank you video). That's nothing compared to other vaguely well-known UTAUloids *coughyamicough*. Hayao just isn't very likable. >_>'' /Igetjealouseasily.

OKAY BACK ONTOPIC.
    Having an unexplainably likable character helps, A LOT. Like Yami or the POPLOIDS.
    LupinAKAFlashTH2
    LupinAKAFlashTH2

Notes : 3737

UTAU Information
    UTAUloid or Project: Project CX-Loid (Crossloid)
    Blog/Website: www.crossloids.webs.com
    Status: ACT 1 of Kenji Baionoto released at website above, constantly being updated

Post by LupinAKAFlashTH2 Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:21 am

Not to be a downer, but most UTAUloids rarely get popular due to the large amount of them.
    If you're aware of that, YAY LET'S GET AWAY FROM THIS NEGATIVE SPACE.

First things first, BE SOCIAL. Talking to other people and helping others out really strikes an epic chord in many people, and you will get more attention as so.

Second, remember the phrase "First impressions go a long way". If you release a new act of your UTAU, the first thing that people hear is what people will base the decision of "Should I listen to this UTAU sing *insert song name here*?" on. Making a bad first impression = very very few viewers. Making an amazing first impression = quite a bit more than making a bad one.

Third, don't be afraid to use other people's UTAUloids. In fact, that's kind of key to becoming known. Using other peoples UTAUloids for UST releases, choruses, and other videos make not only those UTAUs more well known, but your own stuff better known too. So, more viewers.

Fourth, MAKE ORIGINAL CONTENT. Be it PVs (which many Overseas users tend to be lazy with), songs (which very very few Overseas users tend to even know how to make), or MMD-PVs (which are made more often by Overseas users), anything that is original is a bonus point.

Fifth, it's good to have a surprise every once in a while. Do something that no one will expect, and it's noticed for the most part. Do something that you have announced and even given previews of, less people will take notice of the finished product.

Sixth, give constructive criticism, not destructive. Giving critique about other peoples stuff by telling them what to make better is MUCH better than saying "Vocal line is off time, I can't believe you couldn't tell." or "YOU FAIL" period. Critique should sound more like this- "Well, the vocals are off-time and a bit off-pitch, and maybe she/he's singing a bit to fast compared to the background, but other than that, it's good! I do like how *insert name of UTAU here* sounds singing this." Giving constructive criticism shows that you know how to use UTAU without making you look like a total jerk. Giving destructive criticism however, does not.

Finally, have FUN. This really doesn't help much in popularity, but that's kind of one of the many things users do when using UTAU- having fun! Not having fun means you most likely didn't put your all into making something sound great, and you don't feel that feeling of accomplishment when you're done. It's kind of a motivation!

I'm not sure if much of this helps... if anything, getting people to subscribe to you via other means also helps, because they'll watch your UTAU videos too, or at least they'll know you posted one. (But what the hell, I don't really get many views for my videos, the ones that do have a lot views have been up for a long time, so you're pretty much getting advice from a popularity newb XD )
    Subarashiki
    Subarashiki

UTAU Information

Post by Subarashiki Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:01 am

Lots of helpful things! XD Awesome!

As far as making original music...yeah. Kinda suckin' in that department. I've made parody lyrics before to the tunes of a couple premade songs [AHS being one of them], relating the lyrics to roleplay communities/characters I am a part of. But that's about it. :< I don't have a natural ear for the musical half of things.

BUT I CAN DO PVS. More or less. Not really smooth animation...but storybook types. That's not too hard. :3

Anyways..I feel sorta bad I haven't released Reim for download yet, but I'm happy people here seem to really like her so far. Almost done finishing her voicebank with those extra notes...I think I have another...30-40 to go? And then a friend is finishing the oto~

I'd love to do projects with other people here. I'm just. Uh. I suck at mixing [if you haven't heard already]. xD;

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:51 pm