You Know You're an Otaku When...

mintie

Notes : 768

UTAU Information
    UTAUloid or Project: MSloids
    Blog/Website: http://msloids.blogspot.com/

You Know You're an Otaku When...

Post by mintie on Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:24 am

You integrate anime into language arts. And then you're going to turn this essay in to the high school honors english teacher to see if she'll accept you into your class.

WARNING. WALL OF TEXT.

Spoiler:
    Aliens, time travelers, and espers may exist - and not just in your dreams. Nagaru Tanigawa's The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya has the main character, Kyon, deal with high school freshman Haruhi Suzumiya, who believes in supernatural life. Little does she know that she has the power to create, destroy, and change the universe at her will, and only Kyon can convince this eccentric girl to keep the world as is. When Haruhi makes a club at school and invites three members, Yuki Nagato, Mikuru Asahina, and Itsuki Koizumi, these four people change Kyon's life drastically. Through the conflict of dealing with Haruhi, Kyon becomes more respectful of her, and learns that the people that you say you hate are actually some of your closest friends.

First of all, Kyon's whole life changes when he meets the strange Haruhi. She's beautiful, has a great personality, and is athletic and smart. But one thing that sets her apart from others is her passionate belief in anything extraordinary. As Haruhi Suzumiya introduces herself at the beginning of the school year, she announces with a glare, "I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, and espers here, come join me. That is all" (p6). This quote shows how Haruhi believes in strange things and also how she doesn't exactly like the world as it is. Haruhi wants something exciting to happen, and describes humans as "ordinary", implying that people who have amazing powers wound be more fun to befriend. Kyon, however, doesn't respect Haruhi's thoughts and guesses everyone else didn't either. "Is this some kind of joke? There were probably big question marks in the minds of everyone in the room as they wondered how they were supposed to react. Are we supposed to laugh?" (p6). This quote reveals Kyon's disrespect toward Haruhi's presentation. He thinks it is pretty immature to still believe in things like this, and doesn't want to take her seriously. But, he learns later that she is dead serious about her words. Despite this, Kyon tries to talk to her, but always seems to not connect well with her due to him secretly not regarding her beliefs.

Second, Kyon changes to respect Haruhi a bit more after he finds out that a supernatural phenomena actually exists. The club Haruhi has made, the SOS Brigade, is searching for people with astonishing powers, but they're actually all there in the club room! The three invited members, Yuki Nagato, Mikuru Asahina, and Itsuki Koizumi have each revealed themselves to be an alien, time traveler, and esper, and have also showed proof to Kyon after he reluctantly believes them. Yuki Nagato used her alien powers to save Kyon when he was attacked by another alien posing as a student at school. Mikuru's 'older self' also time traveled back to the past to meet him. In addition, Itsuki took Kyon into a 'Closed Space' only accessible with esper abilities and which is isolated from the rest of the world and is created when Haruhi is in a bad mood. "A self-proclaimed alien-made, artificial human. A self-proclaimed time traveling girl. A self-proclaimed squad of esper boys. Each has shown me honest proof of identity... Okay, I could live with that. Or no, like hell I could live with that, but even if I accepted everything that had happened and been said, there was still one thing I didn't get. Why me?" (p166). In this quote, Kyon believes the three people who have become his friends but still doesn't understand how it connected him and Haruhi together. But he partially accepts the fact that the SOS Brigade members are weirdoes, so thus partially accepts the fact that Haruhi is true about phenomenal people existing, and he just doesn't know why it all revolves around him at the moment. However, Kyon is now another step closer in understanding Haruhi Suzumiya and respecting her.

Third, Kyon is brought the point in the story where he realizes and admits that he doesn't actually hate Haruhi as he thinks and indirectly says, and that she holds a different meaning for him. When he's stuck in a closed space with her, and the only way out of it is to admit that he respects her a lot, he sincerely tells that to her. Kyon explains, "Haruhi, I've been through some really fantastic experiences the past few days. You probably don't know, but there are actually a bunch of extraordinary people interested in you. These people, they consider you to be a unique girl and are acting accordingly. You may not have realized, but the world was definitely moving in an interesting direction" (p190). In this quote he is referring to the SOS Brigade's thinking of her, but is also implying how he feels about Haruhi too. He's accepted her as a close friend, rather than the insane immature classmate who sits behind him in class. Kyon has finally learned from the phrase "keep your friends close, keep your enemies closer".

Kyon begins to respect Haruhi and learns that all people are different when he deals with Haruhi and her problems. Kyon first met Haruhi in class, and though that she was odd and didn't like her or her ideas of supernatural beings. However, the club that she forms has members that have paranormal powers and they prove to Kyon that people like them do exist, so Kyon begins to believe Haruhi and now thinks differently of her. In the end, he picks up signals that he respects her quite a lot. I have been in a situation like this once, where I met a girl who was pretty strange, but after we talked and got to know each other, we found out we had a lot of things in common. She is now one of my best friends! So, make a new friend today out of someone who seems to be dubious person you'd get along with, and then maybe you'll find out something unique about them.

Honors material for an 8th grader? o_O I had fun writing this, because it was about a light novel which inspired anime which I did watch and enjoy... *shot*

Constructive criticism is welcome!

((I didn't know which section to put it, so anime/manga it is! Shocked))

Re: You Know You're an Otaku When...

Post by Guest on Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:30 am

Haruhi YES YES YES

...but an English essay?
    mintie

UTAU Information

Post by mintie on Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:33 am

lol Leekspin

a "response to literature" is what they call it...
    and the prompt was something like how they change and what they learn *-*

HARUHI WAS THE BEST CHOICE I HAD, ACTUALLY. :'D
    keitocchi

Notes : 309

UTAU Information
    UTAUloid or Project: Yuuta Warune
    Blog/Website: http://waruneyuuta.blogspot.com/

Post by keitocchi on Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:57 pm

I did something like this for a writing assessment. We had to do a character study, and I did mine on Endrance from .hack//G.U.

Got the highest score you can get, hell yeah. o/
    TFOTR

Notes : 684

UTAU Information
    UTAUloid or Project:
    Blog/Website: http://utau.wikia.com/wiki/Saru_Ryone
    Status: Act 1 CV Voicebank ver. 1.6 Act 2 VCV to start soon :)

Post by TFOTR on Sun May 16, 2010 5:42 am

We have been studying WW1 and WW2 as of late; and when ever I hear the word "Axis Powers", "America", "Germany", "France always loses!" (no offense to any people of that background here, my classmate has issues with France.) ect. I can't help but think of Hetalia! XD A lot of the historical events that we talk about in World history are in Hetalia. And I love how China is the big brother, and Japan and Korea are the siblings. China is boss! lol
    Ezri

Notes : 1489

UTAU Information
    UTAUloid or Project: Chirune Kikyo
    Blog/Website:

Post by Ezri on Sun May 16, 2010 11:36 am

I tend to think of Hetalia when I'm in history, too. XD We're studying the middle ages...

France: "I don't like your Pope, Italy! I'M GONNA MAKE MY OWN."
    Italy: "...ve~"

Post by Guest on Sun May 16, 2010 12:19 pm

Oh dear, don’t get me started on Hetalia.

Teacher: …and so they got sidetracked by the HRE. Does anyone here know what that stands for?
    Me: -almost jumping out of seat- HOLY ROMAN EMPIRE!
    Everyone else: -stares-
    Me: …What?

I also was happy when he increasingly used the words “German”, “Germanic”, etc., in reference to HRE, and especially when he said “The Holy Roman Empire is essentially Germany.” (Come on, fan theory…it’s gotta be true!)

Also, I knew whom Austria allied with in the Thirty Years War (France) mainly because Austria was so worked up about it during the strip.
    smeen

Notes : 7719

UTAU Information
    UTAUloid or Project: Yuugi Hakune/Nubia
    Blog/Website: http://utauonline.com/yuugi/

Post by smeen on Mon May 17, 2010 1:59 pm

When you use Grave of the Fireflies for a movie-reviewing history assignment.
    Misha

Notes : 2890

UTAU Information
    UTAUloid or Project: Hachi Makune & Ichiro Makune
    Blog/Website: http://makunefamily.blogspot.com/

Post by Misha on Mon May 17, 2010 2:28 pm

I don't want to be an otaku. I prefer the term, connoissiur of anime

UTAU Information

Post by smeen on Mon May 17, 2010 2:31 pm

That is quite awesome...
    mintie

UTAU Information

Post by mintie on Mon May 17, 2010 9:40 pm

PPL gotta admit

Hetalia = good form of history education :'D

Spoiler:
    in random stuff, there's a history teacher at our school named Ms. Pope... lolol
    smeen

UTAU Information

Post by smeen on Tue May 18, 2010 2:42 am

Yeah, but PPL have to admit too that whenever they hear Brittania they feel like imitating Lelouch...

Okay, I need to stop watching Discovery Channel, I'm getting a sore throat.
    Kanade

Notes : 62

UTAU Information
    UTAUloid or Project: Komai Seikatsu
    Blog/Website:

Post by Kanade on Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:56 pm

I have a thread just like this on the Voice Acting Alliance...oh, will I enjoy this~

You know you're an otaku when you cosplay for your eighth-grade school talent show (I totally did "Hare Hare Yukai," WITH a Haruhi headband---the full costume wasn't ready yet...), most of your Facebook statuses include "SQUEE! New Angel Beats tomorrow!" or whatnot, you hear "Borders" and think "manga," and then you spend a whole hour looking through the manga section just to decide what to choose for your uncle to get you as your belated birthday/graduation present (I chose Vampire Knight, mehehehe~), you see some kid's folder at school that's Transformers-themed, complete with a robot on the cover, and think, "Wait, is that the Lancelot? Suzaku?", you think about naming your kid when you grow up Suzaku (IT'S A COOL NAME!), you think of Brina Palencia and Vic Mignogna when asked what your favorite actors and actresses are, you can name pretty much all the weapons used in Angel Beats (Otonashi has a Glock 17, Yuri has a Beretta 92 and a couple grenades~), you draw Geass symbols into your Celtic circles art project when you're bored in art class, you hear something about King Louis XV's reign or something and think of zombie Gargoyle things and Poets and major butt-kicking (Le Chevalier D'Eon, anybody?) you hear Shakespeare and think Romeo X Juliet, and you CREATE an otaku. Actually, I've created two---one out of my little sister (we watch Sasami Magical Girls Club, it's hilarious!), and one out of my best friend, Carolyn (and we watch Fullmetal Alchemist at sleepovers, mehehe~).

Leekspin Otaku ovah heeyah!
    zin

Notes : 4252

UTAU Information
    UTAUloid or Project: 120loid
    Blog/Website: 120loids.tk

Post by zin on Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:19 am

TFOTR wrote:We have been studying WW1 and WW2 as of late; and when ever I hear the word "Axis Powers", "America", "Germany", "France always loses!" (no offense to any people of that background here, my classmate has issues with France.) ect. I can't help but think of Hetalia! XD A lot of the historical events that we talk about in World history are in Hetalia. And I love how China is the big brother, and Japan and Korea are the siblings. China is boss! lol
    hetalia helped me pass world history with a B

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:07 am