Overseas Utaforum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

... Mic help

Rayshia
    Rayshia

Notes : 430

... Mic help Empty ... Mic help

Post by Rayshia Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:36 am

I fail.

My problem is... Whenever I talk into a mic, it sounds like a foghorn. Seriously, I go "Aaaa" into it, and it comes out like an elephant fart when I listen to it. I know it's not a mic problem because I've stolen my friends' mics to try it out with... So...

Senpais, do you have any idea what's wrong?
    mugenginga
    mugenginga

Notes : 68

UTAU Information
    UTAUloid or Project: Momoiro "Momo-chan" Kirane aka Melody Pink
    Blog/Website:

... Mic help Empty Re: ... Mic help

Post by mugenginga Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:08 am

Well, I can't be SURE this is your problem, but this is what I came up with....

How close are you holding the mic to your mouth? If you hold it too close, you will get some pretty bad distortions and "elephant farts" (sorry, I can't read that with a straight face. Forgive me) - My suggestion is to not speak so closely into the mic.

Another issue might be you're speaking/singing too loud. Mics can be pretty sensitive in that regard. Try softening your voice. I don't know if that's a good idea in terms of voice bank making, but you could try it to see if it fixes the problem.

But to me it sounds like a case of holding the mic too close. So that's what I'd try first. If you want to spend money, I recommend a headset with a mic built it. I got one for Skype once and I think it'll be good for UTAUloids... I say I think because I haven't really DONE much in the way of recording.

I hope that's helpful!
    Rayshia
    Rayshia

Notes : 430

Post by Rayshia Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:22 am

Thank you! I think that very well might be the problem. (Yeah, I know. Elephant farts. xD lol.)
    Chasing Fireflies
    Chasing Fireflies

Notes : 2912

UTAU Information
    UTAUloid or Project: Kazuko Yonagine & Toby Osbourne
    Blog/Website: https://www.youtube.com/user/ZettaSloooow
    Status: Kazuko: VCVs in progress~ Toby: ACT1 released, waiting for CZ's English reclist...

Post by Chasing Fireflies Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:34 am

Oh! And try not to sing directly into the microphone, if you can, or else all your hard consonants (like, pa and ba) will have a puff at the beginning. It helps if you hold it a little to the side of your face.
    ismichi
    ismichi

Notes : 34

UTAU Information
    UTAUloid or Project: 南ミチ
    Blog/Website: http://michi-isolde.blogspot.com

Post by ismichi Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:28 pm

Another thing you could do is make sure that your recording volume is rather low (not to where it can't be heard/the mic bass-thing is off), so that you can be loud and it won't affect the recording too much. By that point, you could always just amplify the recording, to where the volume's good (but don't think that de-amplifying it makes it better, because the quality's ruined if you record at too high a volume).
    (Though, that's more of a suggestion if you use a loud-ish voice when recording. And, yes. This is kind of an alternative to mugenginga's "quietly record" advice.)

An actual tip I can give, for quality (when it's not a volume issue), is to use Audacity. Not necessarily for recording (since a lot of people here seem to use OREMO), but to clean the recording up.
    If you have one of the latest versions, you can use the "High Pass Filter..." under the Effects (beneath the divider line-thing). And if you use "Debug", rather than just the "OK", it gets the proper whatever and makes it sound the best it can (only one time is needed. Any more than that and it just begins making it really quiet.).
    (I do this with all of my recordings as well as the ones I receive to mix, so it works. Prior to me using the Effect, my recordings sound extremely muffled, even with my headset, so I really do know that it works and I'm not just copying-and-pasting advice. XD)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:05 pm