Overseas Utaforum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

Off-key?

Sakiko Hanane
    Sakiko Hanane

Notes : 618

UTAU Information
    UTAUloid or Project: HANAloids
    Blog/Website: sakikohanane.blogspot.com
    Status: Sakiko Act3 now released! Several other banks are under construction.

Off-key? Empty Off-key?

Post by Sakiko Hanane Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:06 pm

I just finished a song with Sakiko that was originally by Miku. Of course, since Miku's voice is much higher than mine, Sakiko sounded strained on the higher notes. I lowered the pitch of the vocals in UTAU exactly one octave, and figured that was fine as long as it was one full octave and not in-between.

It sounded alright to me, but now a friend (who has more experience with this than me) is telling me it's a bit off-key. Not sure what I should do about it. Am I just tonedeaf?

(if you're curious, it's this. I left the octave changed for Pumpking as well, and added a t99 flag to both of them.)
    Yume Barauta

Notes : 1892

Off-key? Empty Re: Off-key?

Post by Yume Barauta Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:08 pm

It does sound a bit off-key... ;; I'd suggest re-doing it with it in the normal key but putting a g- flag on both of them so they sound better on the high notes. :3
    irei1as
    irei1as

Notes : 1007

UTAU Information
    UTAUloid or Project: Valen Sodebades
    Blog/Website: www.youtube.com/user/irei1as

Post by irei1as Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:21 pm

Well, an octave is 12 notes (semitones too) so if you changed just 8 notes instead of 12, that's the problem.
    But I doubt you did that.

Aside of that, there are two kind of listening the pitch: relative and absolute.
    If you look for doing a change of octaves, only people with relative ear will see it fine. Musicians with absolute pitch ear will see the change and say it's off-tune.

Maybe you want to check the two wikipedia articles about it:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relative_pitch
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absolute_pitch
    Sakiko Hanane
    Sakiko Hanane

Notes : 618

UTAU Information
    UTAUloid or Project: HANAloids
    Blog/Website: sakikohanane.blogspot.com
    Status: Sakiko Act3 now released! Several other banks are under construction.

Post by Sakiko Hanane Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:41 pm

irei1as wrote:If you look for doing a change of octaves, only people with relative ear will see it fine. Musicians with absolute pitch ear will see the change and say it's off-tune.

Hmm, well, that's probably my problem. I haven't had any musical training to speak of; I'm just kind of going by ear with UTAU.

I would re-do it, but I stupidly forgot to save the UST and I really don't want to do everything over again. OTL But I'll keep that in mind for next time.

Thanks again for your help. Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:17 am