Overseas Utaforum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
Chasing Fireflies
annamaeblythe
mugenginga
7 posters

Writing Music for UTAUloids

mugenginga
    mugenginga

Notes : 68

UTAU Information
    UTAUloid or Project: Momoiro "Momo-chan" Kirane aka Melody Pink
    Blog/Website:

Writing Music for UTAUloids Empty Writing Music for UTAUloids

Post by mugenginga Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:34 am

I've officially got a concept for my first UTAUloid. I want to give her a custom song, but... well, let's just say I haven't the slightest clue on writing music. I'm not expecting to learn overnight, but... yeah. I've got a program that I can synthesize music with (it's a free program) so that's not an issue. I can probably buy blank sheet music if I wanted to fiddle with it there, too.

Any tips for someone like me? Like, where should I start? The extent of my skills is pretty much limited to reading notes (as in G, A, C, not how long to hold them). Thanks. XD
    annamaeblythe
    annamaeblythe

Notes : 434

UTAU Information
    UTAUloid or Project: BLYTHE Anaka
    Blog/Website:

Writing Music for UTAUloids Empty Re: Writing Music for UTAUloids

Post by annamaeblythe Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:50 pm

As a piano student for several years, and a student at a school that had very educational music classes...

Well, if you're on a piano roll, notes aren't needed. If you're in sheet music mode, you'll need to know the simple quarter note, half note, whole note stuff.

However. Unless you are good at music, I would highly advice to stay away from making original songs.
    Chasing Fireflies
    Chasing Fireflies

Notes : 2912

UTAU Information
    UTAUloid or Project: Kazuko Yonagine & Toby Osbourne
    Blog/Website: https://www.youtube.com/user/ZettaSloooow
    Status: Kazuko: VCVs in progress~ Toby: ACT1 released, waiting for CZ's English reclist...

Post by Chasing Fireflies Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:57 pm

Well, my advice would be to listen to a lot of music. It's hard to write a good song if you don't know what a good song sounds like. =) What style of song do you want to write? Like, a happy song would probably be in a major key, and you'd probably want to write in minor key for more of a sad or angry feel.

Sometimes it's good to start with a melody if you've already got one in mind, but it's usually easier to start with the bassline or the chords and work your way up. If you've got a piano or a keyboard at home, try playing some chords in a sequence and see what sounds good. Like, one really common chord progression is I V IV I (That'd be C G F C if you're in C major). Since it's your first song, it'd probably be best to start with something simple. But really, the best way to learn how to write songs is by practicing! ^__^

Oh, and what synthesizer are you using? I've been looking all over for a good free one.
    Misha
    Misha

Notes : 2890

UTAU Information
    UTAUloid or Project: Hachi Makune & Ichiro Makune
    Blog/Website: http://makunefamily.blogspot.com/

Post by Misha Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:34 pm

First off, what language is this in?
    mugenginga
    mugenginga

Notes : 68

UTAU Information
    UTAUloid or Project: Momoiro "Momo-chan" Kirane aka Melody Pink
    Blog/Website:

Post by mugenginga Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:58 pm

Fireflies: Well, the free version only allows midi songs up to 1 minute. And only midis, but I figure for where I am that's as good a place as any to start. I rechecked the features and its not that great. XD Oops. But its the free version of Anvil Studio. For $19 it looks like I could upgrade to a version that allows 60 minute melodies, though. I'm about 90% sure its compatible with a USB instrument.

http://www.anvilstudio.com/

Misha: Well, I'd like my UTAU's demo to be an original song in Japanese. The issue is my skills with the language at this time. I'd have to get someone to doublecheck my lyrics. But the two languages I'd be dealing with are Japanese and English.
    yesi-chan
    yesi-chan

Notes : 590

UTAU Information
    UTAUloid or Project: Camila Melodía
    Blog/Website: http://camilamelodia.blogspot.com

Post by yesi-chan Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:50 pm

mugenginga wrote:Fireflies: Well, the free version only allows midi songs up to 1 minute. And only midis, but I figure for where I am that's as good a place as any to start. I rechecked the features and its not that great. XD Oops. But its the free version of Anvil Studio. For $19 it looks like I could upgrade to a version that allows 60 minute melodies, though. I'm about 90% sure its compatible with a USB instrument.

http://www.anvilstudio.com/

Misha: Well, I'd like my UTAU's demo to be an original song in Japanese. The issue is my skills with the language at this time. I'd have to get someone to doublecheck my lyrics. But the two languages I'd be dealing with are Japanese and English.
    I use Anvil Studio and you can record midis of longer than 1 minute (I'm currently working on a song that runs for 2 minutes so far) What you can't do is import wav files longer than 1 minute. But if you know nothing about music I'd advice you to learn about it before trying to write an original song ^^; that or write the lyrics figure out a tune in your head, record it and get someone who can play music to help you out Smile
    kisekixkoe

Notes : 287

UTAU Information
    UTAUloid or Project:
    Blog/Website:

Post by kisekixkoe Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:49 pm

Speaking as a former piano student, a clarinet player, a vocalist and an arranger, First you should assess if youre really up to doing it.
    I mean, Writing an original composition in itself is hard, making it in utau, even more so
    especially if its going to be in japanese..
    산쇼씨 (Sansyo-ssi)
    산쇼씨 (Sansyo-ssi)

Notes : 838

UTAU Information
    UTAUloid or Project: 歌音山将
    Blog/Website: http://kimsansyo.blog128.fc2.com/blog-entry-3.html

Post by 산쇼씨 (Sansyo-ssi) Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:33 am

My favorite program for creating music is FL Studio. *U*/ When I was out trying demos, it seemed to be the easiest out of everything I tried to use, so I got the full version it. C: (The only problem is, you have to find/buy more virtual instruments if you want more than what the program comes with;;Wink

If you plan on making a decent song, you should really understand the concept and process of making one first. Usually people start out with Lyrics, then Melody. Afterwards, you add Harmony, Percussion, and Bass then Effects usually come last. (And this is only for a simple songs, the parts differ by genre) If you don't understand what the terms are I really reccomend studying music more before attempting a song. .A.;;

AND ONE MORE THING;
    I'm really against writing lyrics in a language that the author is illiterate in. Korean and Japanese bands attempt to write and english because they think it's "cool," but when people who actually understand english hear it, they usually get made fun of. @A@;;
    yesi-chan
    yesi-chan

Notes : 590

UTAU Information
    UTAUloid or Project: Camila Melodía
    Blog/Website: http://camilamelodia.blogspot.com

Post by yesi-chan Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:01 am

SANSYO wrote:My favorite program for creating music is FL Studio. *U*/ When I was out trying demos, it seemed to be the easiest out of everything I tried to use, so I got the full version it. C: (The only problem is, you have to find/buy more virtual instruments if you want more than what the program comes with;;Wink

If you plan on making a decent song, you should really understand the concept and process of making one first. Usually people start out with Lyrics, then Melody. Afterwards, you add Harmony, Percussion, and Bass then Effects usually come last. (And this is only for a simple songs, the parts differ by genre) If you don't understand what the terms are I really reccomend studying music more before attempting a song. .A.;;

AND ONE MORE THING;
    I'm really against writing lyrics in a language that the author is illiterate in. Korean and Japanese bands attempt to write and english because they think it's "cool," but when people who actually understand english hear it, they usually get made fun of. @A@;;
    There is a free program called Lmms (Linux Multimedia Studio and yes it works on Windows) that is similar to FL studio (though it might be more limited I haven't tried FL studio) also there are free soundfonts out there.  Anyway I agree, study music first and definitely make sure you are up to the challenge.  I especially agre with Syo's last bit of advice there. Write in a language you are comfortable with and if you want to translate to Japanese get help of someone who knows Japanese but still I think it's better to write in your own language.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:40 am