Overseas Utaforum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+16
Misha
Sugarsheba
mya
Haji_Kyone
taiwonton
hello8bit
Catarsis
BlazePyron
Trempush
.amuletdream
Stripe
Hika421
Haloheroine
zin
windvocaloid
Hecate
20 posters

Using dress up games for your UTAUloid's avatar...

Hecate
    Hecate

Notes : 550

UTAU Information
    UTAUloid or Project: Healthy Falsetto act 1
    Blog/Website:

Using dress up games for your UTAUloid's avatar... Empty Using dress up games for your UTAUloid's avatar...

Post by Hecate Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:52 am

Do you think it's right or wrong?
    Since I've seen quite a lot of people using anime/manga dress up games to make their UTAUloid.
    What do you think about them?

Also, this thread is not meant to offend people. >_>
    windvocaloid
    windvocaloid

Notes : 867

UTAU Information
    UTAUloid or Project: Seigaku Mizuiro
    Blog/Website:

Using dress up games for your UTAUloid's avatar... Empty Re: Using dress up games for your UTAUloid's avatar...

Post by windvocaloid Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:00 am

It's less creative, but it's good to do so.. if people can't draw clothing right xP
    zin
    zin

Notes : 4252

UTAU Information
    UTAUloid or Project: 120loid
    Blog/Website: 120loids.tk

Using dress up games for your UTAUloid's avatar... Empty Re: Using dress up games for your UTAUloid's avatar...

Post by zin Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:09 am

well defoko's design was made in a anime character generator, i think
    Haloheroine
    Haloheroine

Notes : 3530

UTAU Information
    UTAUloid or Project: Rainbow UTAUloid Project
    Blog/Website: http://utaucream.wordpress.com/
    Status: Misakura Hayao VCVs- 98%, Hananome Jarred (Possibly VCVs)- 2%, Kurone Ayla - ??

Post by Haloheroine Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:40 am

If you can't draw, you can't draw.
    In fact, a lot of the people I know who can't draw are also the more creative people when it comes to character designs.

^^;; I think it's okay.
    Hika421
    Hika421

Notes : 565

UTAU Information
    UTAUloid or Project: Gaikokune Hikaru
    Blog/Website: http://gaikokunehikaru.blogspot.com/

Post by Hika421 Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:41 am

I used one to come up with the basics, but then threw some of my own ideas in.
    Stripe
    Stripe

Notes : 395

UTAU Information
    UTAUloid or Project: HYCloids
    Blog/Website: https://www.youtube.com/user/lilyisgoodontoast

Post by Stripe Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:45 am

I - I like it for ideas! I generally make designs on, like, Tinierme, then just edit it in Photoshop and get proper art of it done by other people XD
    .amuletdream
    .amuletdream

Notes : 199

UTAU Information
    UTAUloid or Project: Tori Chang/Tony Chang
    Blog/Website: http://luminate.blog132.fc2.com

Post by .amuletdream Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:40 am

They're fun, but I don't usually use them because they're quite limited. "orz

I'm totally for using them though.
    Trempush
    Trempush

Notes : 893

UTAU Information
    UTAUloid or Project: Trem, Travis, and Adele
    Blog/Website: http://trempushjones.blogspot.com/
    Status: Trem v2.0 WIP, Independent Travis WIP, Adele v1.0 complete

Post by Trempush Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:17 am

windvocaloid wrote:It's less creative, but it's good to do so.. if people can't draw clothing right xP

^ this is why my UTAUloids are made with eLouai, lol. It is less creative, but it really helps with creating a person that actually looks like a person ('cause if I drew them, they wouldn't D: ), that I can then make a personality for.

Plus, eLouai is the best place I've found that has a HUGE amount of customization. They've got pretty much everything I could need. And they look cute :B

windvocaloid
    windvocaloid

Notes : 867

UTAU Information
    UTAUloid or Project: Seigaku Mizuiro
    Blog/Website:

Post by windvocaloid Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:43 pm

Trempush wrote:
    windvocaloid wrote:It's less creative, but it's good to do so.. if people can't draw clothing right xP

^ this is why my UTAUloids are made with eLouai, lol. It is less creative, but it really helps with creating a person that actually looks like a person ('cause if I drew them, they wouldn't D: ), that I can then make a personality for.

Plus, eLouai is the best place I've found that has a HUGE amount of customization. They've got pretty much everything I could need. And they look cute :B

well.. if you say it like that then I guess having the ability by being suckish at drawing (like me DX) is kinda like a good thing (?)

there are loads of ideas of being creative besides drawing from scratch! XD

there's writing for example!! XD

instead of drawing for a concept.. why not write your UTAU's description first then work your way up the top ..

until you find some kul and fanshi dress up game or something xD

(or an art request orz)
    BlazePyron
    BlazePyron

Notes : 811

UTAU Information
    UTAUloid or Project: Kaen Shujoteki
    Blog/Website: https://www.youtube.com/user/BlazePyron

Post by BlazePyron Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:50 pm

It does limit exactly how creative you can be, but I suppose it might be helpful in getting clothing right. I think by some people it's just lazy and unoriginal, but if you can still make a unique and compelling character with one, then go for it.
    Catarsis
    Catarsis

Notes : 1916

UTAU Information
    UTAUloid or Project:
    Blog/Website:

Post by Catarsis Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:48 pm

I think it's retarded. /meanartisticbetch
    Well, not really...I understand there's some people who don't know how to draw well but, you can request a drawing to somebody...at least when people request me a simple drawing for their UTAU, it makes me happy :D

Post by Guest Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:18 pm

I think it's fine to use as a placeholder until you get someone to make something better for you. Like for instance Defoko uses a character generator, but most of her art primarily uses her other boxart.

I do completely approve of using 3DCG for MMD models though -nodnod-
    hello8bit
    hello8bit

Notes : 710

UTAU Information
    UTAUloid or Project: [NEBULOID]
    Blog/Website: http://nebuloid.blog132.fc2.com/

Post by hello8bit Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:28 pm

I really don't care. I've seen tons of UTAU designs just done with that like.. anime character maker thing. If you can't draw, you can't draw. Just don't expect anyone to praise you for your dress-up game character because well.. chances are it's been done before. Many times. There's only so many options, right?

But I do understand that not everyone draws, and that's okay. You don't have to to have an awesome sounding UTAU.
    taiwonton
    taiwonton

Notes : 650

UTAU Information
    UTAUloid or Project: Kirine Tsubaki & JUN/SHUN
    Blog/Website: http://www.poploids.zzl.org/index.php

Post by taiwonton Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:54 pm

^

I agree completely with hello8bit.
    Like, people are gonna go, "Oh how cute!" When they first see if, but when they realize you didn't do it they'll be like, "Oh".

I dunno, personally I never bother paying any attention to UTAU who have been designed by dress-up games. I have nothing against them, but they're not exactly impressive.
    Haji_Kyone
    Haji_Kyone

Notes : 770

UTAU Information
    UTAUloid or Project:
    Blog/Website:

Post by Haji_Kyone Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:12 pm

I think it's ok, I used one once because I was having problems with my PC orz'' If I use it, i alter the clothes when /I draw it/. So S'ok. and I agree with Bitto (hello8bit)
    mya
    mya

Notes : 156

Post by mya Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:44 pm

I think it's fine, especially if you can't draw or don't have an idea yet on what to design. But considering how limited most dress-up games are, it might be better if you use it as a base for the full design and add some other details rather than just use what comes up from it just like that. That way you also put some creativity in it.
    taiwonton
    taiwonton

UTAU Information

Post by taiwonton Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:29 pm

mya wrote:I think it's fine, especially if you can't draw or don't have an idea yet on what to design. But considering how limited most dress-up games are, it might be better if you use it as a base for the full design and add some other details rather than just use what comes up from it just like that. That way you also put some creativity in it.

You mean like, draw on top of what you get out of a dress up game? xD;
    That might be somewhat problematic. xD;;
    mya
    mya

Post by mya Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:01 pm

taiwonton wrote:
    Hm, not really. More like, trace what you get from the dress-up game and add more details? Might not be suitable for those who can't draw AT ALL, but for those who could, it could be a designing practice... well I don't draw so this is just some sort of hypothesis XD
    Sugarsheba
    Sugarsheba

Notes : 515

UTAU Information
    UTAUloid or Project: Sheba-Loids
    Blog/Website: http://kyokorozene.webs.com

Post by Sugarsheba Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:12 pm

Edit: Thought I'd put somat useful here.

It is wrong, but for the basic idea- I think it's alright to look at dress up games and take small parts. Only if you give credit though. .______.

Last edited by Sugarsheba on Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
    taiwonton
    taiwonton

UTAU Information

Post by taiwonton Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:57 pm

mya wrote:
    taiwonton wrote:
    Hm, not really. More like, trace what you get from the dress-up game and add more details? Might not be suitable for those who can't draw AT ALL, but for those who could, it could be a designing practice... well I don't draw so this is just some sort of hypothesis XD

Ah, well my point was that it's never a good thing to edit other peoples' art without their permission.

I know that if some people who HAD these design problems went and messed with my drawing in most likely a different program and with different settings than what I had used, I would not be a happy camper. xD;;

But that's just me personally...
    Misha
    Misha

Notes : 2890

UTAU Information
    UTAUloid or Project: Hachi Makune & Ichiro Makune
    Blog/Website: http://makunefamily.blogspot.com/

Post by Misha Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:11 pm

I'm personally against it = u=
    But people have stated perfectly fine reason why its ok, so I'm not even going to bother stating why I dislike it.
    It just doesnt feel right to me.
    mya
    mya

Post by mya Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:00 am

taiwonton wrote:
    Ah, well my point was that it's never a good thing to edit other peoples' art without their permission.

I know that if some people who HAD these design problems went and messed with my drawing in most likely a different program and with different settings than what I had used, I would not be a happy camper. xD;;

But that's just me personally...
    Well, that's understandable, especially if you didn't release your drawings with that intention and they did it without permission. But those dress-up games are released for people to, in a sense, mess around with the designs, aren't they? So unless there's an explicit rule not to further redesign the characters that comes up from those games, maybe it won't be so bad as long as credit for the game & its maker as the base of the final design is given? IDK someone enlighten me about the ethics/copyrights regarding this XD. Though yeah, safest bet is always ask for permission first.
    zin
    zin

Notes : 4252

UTAU Information
    UTAUloid or Project: 120loid
    Blog/Website: 120loids.tk

Post by zin Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:09 am

i traced kurisu's act1/act2 design
    https://2img.net/h/i1005.photobucket.com/albums/af175/zinfandel120/FullBody.png
    from a kasane ted picture >.>
    http://onaneko.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d25x6iw
    with the artist's permission of course (but its still bad T~T)

but act 3 is better and original now ^_^ thanks to the lovely ReZeroZip
    http://programmedpaints.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d30kagu
    scarfu
    scarfu

Notes : 1411

UTAU Information
    UTAUloid or Project: Kanbine Hayari/Kamene Kasui/TATARI
    Blog/Website:

Post by scarfu Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:43 am

Honestly, I think it's ENTIRELY wrong .___.

Why the hell would that even be REMOTELY okay? That's pretty much stealing just for the record. .___. Even if you draw a new concept art, if you use the clothing from the dollmaker, you're stealing the DOLLMAKER'S DESIGNS. .____________.

You people act like it's difficult to come up with something original .___.;;

I don't even care if you ~LOL CAN'T DRAW~ -- that is NOT an excuse to rip off OTHER people's ideas. .____. I'd rather see a refridgerator art scribble of something original rather than a generic STOLEN doll character.
    mya
    mya

Post by mya Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:28 am

scarfu wrote:Honestly, I think it's ENTIRELY wrong .___.

Why the hell would that even be REMOTELY okay? That's pretty much stealing just for the record. .___. Even if you draw a new concept art, if you use the clothing from the dollmaker, you're stealing the DOLLMAKER'S DESIGNS. .____________.

You people act like it's difficult to come up with something original .___.;;

I don't even care if you ~LOL CAN'T DRAW~ -- that is NOT an excuse to rip off OTHER people's ideas. .____. I'd rather see a refridgerator art scribble of something original rather than a generic STOLEN doll character.
    And this is what confuses me about the matter. I thought that doll-maker programs and the such are created so that people can come up with a character design? Not to claim as something they created on their own, of course that's blatant stealing. But to create a character and say, "This is a character I made in so-and-so's doll-maker", it may not be very creative but I thought that's the point of the doll-maker game?

tl;dr someone explain the usual etiquette of using a character designed in a doll-maker/dress-up game? I'm confused.

(Okay, so the idea of using a doll-maker design as a base for your own character might be stupid and could be considered stealing, especially if no credit is given. I just thought relying on doll-makers 100% is terribly uncreative.)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:52 am